This has been my past week:
though i've been mostly bored.com a lot has happened.
Everyone keeps asking me "how I'm doing?" "How is Lagos?" etc etc and the easiest answer I've come up with is "I'm adjusting."
I honestly thought I'd come back after almost a decade and adjust easily, well I visited 6 years ago. Hmm it's so.... not the case. It's a huge adjustment. Customer service sucks. Prices are freaking expensive. For the money here, I could probably live in Soho. Better stuff, for this price!
- Looking for a gym: $ dollar equivalents. $100- $400 a month
- Went to an orthodontist here: ortho $100 consultation, $100 dentist consultation & $100 xrays. (basically paid $300 for a consult)
(trust me you dont want to see the rest of the bill for the future)
- Been hanging with friends & family that I haven't seen in ages! Luckily Ive maintained friendships since nursery & primary school, and made some more along the way. social networks & blackberry messenger rock with keeping in contact!
- It's raining season!! so it's barely hot (we have 2 seasons: Raining & Dry). I can say it's not worse than the Atlanta heat that I dealt with before traveling.
Blonde Stuff: I didn't know I grew up on an Island (it sounds soo weird to say I live on an island, I must look into it cause it doesn't seem real)
- I live on an island, it doesn't really look like one, so...... i kinda never knew it was an island until this week until this week. Its complicated. Okay I live in Lagos, it's a city in Nigeria. I lived somewhere (apparently the mainland), then at age 9, I moved elsewhere (apparently the island), at 10 I went to boarding school in a different state for 6 years (visited for breaks). And somehow over the years, It never clicked!!! I don't know how, It just didn't.
I swear it's like they just made it an island last week, everyone tells me "OMG Michelle what did you think the bridge was for??" My reply "Bridges exist without islands! How would i have known" Blame the map not me, it didn't look like an island. Oh well people thought the world was flat for a long time. I only just realized because this week a lot people kept saying stuff like "I'm coming to the Island" "I work on the Mainland" so I asked, and I got an answer.
I know, I should be ashamed to write all this, but I honestly had no clue, and it feels insane.
People in this city can party!!!! Gosh went out on Saturday and partied into the morning. Since it was raining season, there was a huge puddle/ flood outside the club so... imagine NY where people are always ready to hustle, here in Lagos there were men there with umbrella's helping ladies (and perhaps other guys if they wish) by carrying you across so you don't mess up your shoes etc lol and you tip them afterwards. NICE!!!!
My computer!! My darling MacBook Pro got messed up!!!! It used to vibrate when plugged in which is weird because most computers are dual voltage. Then 2 days ago it stopped charging, and shocked me 3 times when i tried to charge it!! Yea my friends say I need to wear rubber slippers.
Def learning a lot, it's pretty interesting, and that's a bit of what has happened to me Week 1.
Love Bombchell (comp battery dies in 30 mins, smh)
(shirt: H &M, gif animation made with GifFun for mac)